Todd represents municipalities and water, sewer, gas and electric utilities, applying the wealth of knowledge he acquired during his time as a Kentucky Public Service Commission attorney. He has litigated a wide variety of matters before the Kentucky Public Service Commission—from rate cases to certificates of public convenience and necessity—and is well equipped to handle the most complete administrative cases. Todd utilizes his knowledge of utilities in litigating various utility-related torts raised against municipalities. He also defends municipalities in other tort matters, such as police officer civil rights cases and whistleblower employment cases. He now uses his litigation and practice experience as a frequent instructor of courses on the Open Records and Open Meetings Acts at several local government law and utility training seminars.
- Leadership Frankfort, Class of 2012
- Law clerk to U.S. Magistrate Judge Tu Pham in Memphis, Tennessee
- Supreme Court of the Republic of Palau, Court Counsel
- Kentucky Law Journal, Editor-in-chief
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Kentucky Rural Water Association
- Kentucky Municipal Utilities Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Advanced Legal Issues Affecting Local Governments and Municipalities: An Ultimate Guide, National Business Institute CLE (December 2016)
- Public Records Issues, CLE presentation for the National Business Institute (May 2015)
- Public Open Records and Open Meetings Laws, CLE presentation for the National Business Institute (June 2013)
- Utility Rate Setting, presentation at the Kentucky League of Cities Annual Conference (October 2012)
- Contracts between Cities and Public Utilities, CLE presentation for the Municipal Attorneys Association of Kentucky (October 2011)
- Numerous CLE presentations on the Open Records and Meetings Acts at the Water Personnel Training Seminars hosted by the Public Service Commission.
- University of Kentucky, J.D. (2004)
- Western Kentucky University, B.A. (2001)
- Represented public utilities and municipalities in rate cases before the Public Service Commission.
- Successfully defended a public utility in a “show cause” investigation established by the Public Service Commission.
- Assisted a water district in obtaining approval for Kentucky Infrastructure Authority financing and a certificate of public convenience and necessity from the PSC.
- Advised a water district on refund of sewer charges ordered by the Public Service Commission.
- Represented a public utility and its corporate parents in an administrative case in which the entities received approval of a transfer of control.
- Defended several municipalities in litigation involving sanitary sewer backups onto private property.
- Advised a regional sanitation district on the legal duty of certain private property owners to pay storm water fees.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a municipality and its police officer on claims of false arrest and malicious prosecution in federal court.
- Successfully briefed arguments related to municipal contracts on behalf of a municipality, its mayor, and city council members, for which the Kentucky Court of Appeals upheld dismissal of the plaintiff’s complaint.
- Secured a verdict in favor of his client in a forcible detainer bench trial in Fayette District Court.
- Represented several parents in adoption finalization proceedings in Fayette and Franklin Circuit Courts.
If you are seeking representation, you must call our office as we do not take requests for representation via email or through our website.
Please read the following notice before sending an email to our firm:
Sending us an email will not make you a client of our firm. Until we have agreed to represent you, anything you send us will not be confidential or privileged. A conflicts-of-interest review must be completed by us before we can establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
By clicking “I Accept These Terms” below, you confirm that you have read and understood this notice.