Scott brings 24 years of law enforcement experience to Sturgill Turner’s Government & Municipal Law Practice Group. His career with the Kentucky State Police began as a trooper and expanded to include legal work as he earned his law degree while maintaining full-time employment as an officer. He oversaw litigation and represented the Kentucky State Police and troopers in civil rights cases, employment law cases, etc. Scott reached the rank of Lt. Colonel and held several roles for the Kentucky State Police, most recently as Executive Adviser to the Commissioner. His practice at Sturgill Turner focuses on police officer defense, employment law, civil rights litigation and insurance defense.
- Member of Southern States Police Benevolent Association attorney referral list for Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Moot Court Board
- National Trial Advocacy Team
- Attended National Prescription Drug Summit 2015 Atlanta, Georgia
- 2007 Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) Police Legal Advisor Training Class #701
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Bluegrass Claims Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police, Legal Officers Section
- Kentucky Chiefs of Police Association
- Kentucky State Police Professional Association
- Kentucky Law Enforcement Council – Professional Development Committee (2014-2016)
- Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (AHIDTA) Executive Board (2014-2015)
- Advanced Legal Issues Affecting Local Governments and Municipalities: An Ultimate Guide, National Business Institute CLE (December 2016)
- Presented numerous legal, HR, and other training seminars for the Kentucky State Police and law enforcement organizations.
- Commonwealth Attorney’s Winter Conference – Garrity v. New Jersey (2016)
- Kentucky Narcotics Officers Association – Legal Issues with Informants (2015)
- Tusculum College, B.A. (1994)
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University, J.D. (2005)
- Oversaw litigation and represented the Kentucky State Police in legal cases including, but not limited to, employment law cases, civil rights litigation, assault and battery, and automobile accident defense.
- Advised the Kentucky State Police Commissioner on policy and legal issues.
- Kentucky Supreme Court cases:
- Gaither v. Justice and Public Safety Cabinet, 447 S.W.3d 628 (Ky 2014).
- Martin v. O’Daniel, 507 S.W.3d 1, 11-12 (Ky. 2016).
- Argued cases before the Kentucky Court of Appeals.
- Oral Argument before 6th Circuit Court of Appeals:
- Campbell v. Stamper, 244 Fed. Appx. 629 (6th Cir. 2007) – Not published
- Published Cases:
- Fall v. Commonwealth, 245 S.W.3d 812, (Ky. Ct. App. 2008)
If you are seeking representation, you must call our office as we do not take requests for representation via email or through our website.
Please read the following notice before sending an email to our firm:
Sending us an email will not make you a client of our firm. Until we have agreed to represent you, anything you send us will not be confidential or privileged. A conflicts-of-interest review must be completed by us before we can establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
By clicking “I Accept These Terms” below, you confirm that you have read and understood this notice.