Kevin, the two-time Lexington Workers’ Compensation Lawyer of the Year, practices extensively in the area of workers’ compensation defense, representing insureds of workers’ compensation carriers and self-insured employers. He is also an experienced civil litigator in the areas of premises liability, insurance defense, contract disputes and estate contests, having successfully tried numerous jury and bench trials across the state of Kentucky. His litigation experience includes appellate cases before the Kentucky Court of Appeals and the Kentucky Supreme Court. His experience in workers’ compensation defense includes liability assessments, defense of injury and death claims, settlement negotiations/mediations, medical fee disputes, defense and initiation of re-openings, and workers’ compensation subrogation claims.
- Best Lawyers in America® Workers’ Compensation Law Defense Lexington Lawyer of the Year (2014 & 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America®: Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®: Workers’ Compensation Defense (2012-Present), Civil Litigation Defense (2007)
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®: Corporate Counsel Edition, Civil Litigation Defense (2008)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- Leadership Kentucky (2014)
- Bluegrass Community Connector (2011)
- Kentucky Bar Association, Outstanding Young Lawyer Award (2006)
- Fayette County Bar Association, Outstanding Citizen-Lawyer Award (2006)
- Rotary Club of Lexington’s Service Above Self Award (2012)
- Rotary Club of Lexington’s Action Rotarian Award (2006)
- Leadership Lexington (2006)
- Downtown Lexington Corporation’s Smiley Pete Award (1999)
- Fayette County Bar Association, Civil Litigation, Labor/Employment, Torts and Workers’ Compensation Sections
- Kentucky Bar Association, Civil Litigation and Workers’ Compensation Sections
- American Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation and Employment Sections
- Defense Research Institute, Employment Law, Governmental Liability, Trial Tactics and Workers’ Compensation Committees
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, Inc.
- University of Kentucky College of Law Visiting Committee (2014-Present)
- Kentucky Public Employees’ Deferred Compensation Authority Board of Trustees (2015-Present)
- Downtown Lexington Corporation, Board of Directors (2000-2014), Executive Committee (2004-Present), President (2011), Vice-President (2004-2009, 2013-Present)
- Rotary Club of Lexington, Inc., Board of Directors (2008-Present), President (2012-2013), Endowment Board of Directors (2015-Present)
- Lexington Public Library Board of Trustees (2009-2013), Secretary (2010-2013)
- Calvary Baptist Church Finance Committee Chair (2016-Present) and Personnel Committee (2016)
- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Special Events Commission, Commissioner (2008-2013)
- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Picnic with the Pops Commission, Commissioner (2007-2012)
- Lexington Fourth of July Festival Committee, Chair (2007-2012)
- Toyota Bluegrass Miracle League, Founder (2004), President (2005-2007)
- University of Kentucky Fellow
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lafferty Society
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Bob Lawson Society
- TTD Benefits Post-Tipton
- Representation of workers’ compensation carriers’ insureds and self-insured employers before Administrative Law Judges, the Workers’ Compensation Board, Kentucky Court of Appeals and Kentucky Supreme Court since 1996.
- Successful representation of workers’ compensation carriers and self-insured employers in workers’ compensation subrogation lawsuits in numerous jurisdictions across Kentucky.
- Successfully represented a health care provider’s employer in the Kentucky Supreme Court case of Kentucky Employers Safety Association v. Lexington Diagnostic Center, et al., 291 S.W.3d 683 (Ky. 2009), where an employer sought medical benefits for testing for its employee to rule out exposure to potentially hazardous body fluids. The Court of Appeals wrote that the ramification of the decision “is significant to workers in law enforcement, medical first responders and others who, in the course of their employment, are exposed to potentially hazardous body fluids.”
- Represented the City of Flemingsburg, Kentucky in Glenn R. Womack, M.D., P.S.C. v. City of Flemingsburg, 102 S.W.3d 513 (Ky. 2002), a Kentucky Supreme Court case dealing with the constitutionality of a city ordinance establishing an occupational license fee.
- Represented Dollar General in Dollar General Stores, Ltd. v. Smith, 237 S.W. 3d 162 (Ky. 2007), a Kentucky Supreme Court case clarifying issues of venue, transfer and savings statues in Kentucky.
- Frequent presenter at Kentucky Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section meetings.
- Kentucky Supreme Court Rules Section of Workers’ Compensation Statute Unconstitutional
- Twelve Sturgill Turner attorneys named 2017 Kentucky Super Lawyers
- Kevin Weaver named Best Lawyers’ 2017 Workers’ Comp Lawyer of the Year
- Eleven Sturgill Turner attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 Edition
- Weaver joins 2014 Class of Leadership Kentucky Save
- Weaver appointed to UK College of Law Visiting Committee
- Kevin Weaver named Best Lawyers’ 2014 Lexington Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers Lawyer of the Year”
- University of Kentucky, J.D. (1994)
- University of Kentucky, B.A. (1991)
If you are seeking representation, you must call our office as we do not take requests for representation via email or through our website.
Please read the following notice before sending an email to our firm:
Sending us an email will not make you a client of our firm. Until we have agreed to represent you, anything you send us will not be confidential or privileged. A conflicts-of-interest review must be completed by us before we can establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
By clicking “I Accept These Terms” below, you confirm that you have read and understood this notice.