Doug has more than 35 years of experience successfully representing the insureds of national insurance providers in uninsured, underinsured, PIP and extra-contractual claims. He has tried over 100 jury trials in auto accident cases in dozens of Kentucky counties, as well as in federal courts in the eastern and western districts of Kentucky. Doug also defends medical negligence claims and long-term care and nursing home facilities against claims of negligent care. He has been successful in obtaining summary disposition and resolution in multiple courts on claims against long-term care facilities, and has facilitated hundreds of successful mediations and jury trials for health care, and other institutional clients, throughout Kentucky.
Doug is the 2017 Best Lawyers in America® Lexington “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Insurance Law. He has been recognized as a Best Lawyer in America in the areas of Insurance Law and Health Care Law, achieved an AV Preeminent® peer rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, and is also a Litigation Counsel of America Fellow.
- Best Lawyers in America® Insurance Law Lexington Lawyer of the Year (2017)
- Best Lawyers in America® Health Care Law, Insurance Law
- Rated “2013 Top Rated Lawyers in Healthcare Law” by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell®
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Central Kentucky American Inn of Court
- Defense Research Institute
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Liability for Prescription Drug Interactions, M.D. Update (April 2016)
- Mediation for Resolving Disputes in the Healthcare Setting, M.D. Update (February 2014)
- University of Kentucky, J.D. (1980)
- University of Kentucky, B.S. (1977)
- Law Clerk to Hon. Edward H. Johnstone, U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky (1982-1984)
- Kentucky Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet, Commissioner and General Counsel (1993-1995)
If you are seeking representation, you must call our office as we do not take requests for representation via email or through our website.
Please read the following notice before sending an email to our firm:
Sending us an email will not make you a client of our firm. Until we have agreed to represent you, anything you send us will not be confidential or privileged. A conflicts-of-interest review must be completed by us before we can establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
By clicking “I Accept These Terms” below, you confirm that you have read and understood this notice.